Breathing.

Jul 28, 2008
I can't do magic when I'm injured.

I'm not sure what it is -- a combination of things, most likely. My focus is bad, because I'm thinking about the pain/trauma. I'm pretty self-centered naturally, but when I'm injured it gets even worse. I feel bounded by my body, stuck in a malfunctioning machine with no connection to the wider universe. And there is that tradition, that the High King had to be physically without blemish in order to rule. It isn't the same thing, but the connection tugs at me.

It shouldn't feel quite so much like a loss, I keep thinking, because I haven't done magic in months. My job was busy sucking my soul out through my eardrums, and when I did have days off, either I had people visiting or I was too busy catching up on sleep to do much of anything else. So I quit my job a month and a half before school started so I would have a chance to catch up. Breathe. Enjoy all of the things that my work was making it impossible to enjoy.

And then I fell, and the doctor is giving a three-month recovery period and possible surgery. (Probable surgery. I need to stop pretending I know more than the doctors about whether or not I should have surgery and just prepare for it.) So much for enjoying.

I saw the Dalai Lama speak last weekend, and he said the way to deal with problems is just to breathe. Meditate. Let your mind calm down, and look at it from all possible perspectives. Don't panic. Deal with as much of it as you can...and then blame the rest of it on the gods. Makes sense to me. (But if I find out someone did this because they thought it would be funny to watch me hop around on crutches for three months, I am gonna be pissed.)

3 comments:

Livia Indica said...

I can't do magic when in pain either. Or when I'm sick. The energy just doesn't flow.

This could have been Eris injecting a little chaos into your life just to make you breathe.

Jen Moore said...

You know, I was sitting around this morning thinking, I wonder if I can ask the school mailing list if there's anybody who can drive me home from classes in the evenings, when I realized -- that's what this is going to be about. Teaching me to ask other people for help.

It seems kinda severe, but then, I wasn't getting it any other way, so...

Paleo Recipes said...

Great blog I enjoyed rreading